This   result   had   the   statisticians   scurrying   to   their   record   books   as Aberdare   crashed   to   a   catastrophic   defeat   to   newly   promoted   Swansea   University   who   themselves carry aspirations to make it to the top flight of Welsh football. It   is   now   well   documented   that   after   such   a   turbulent   previous   season,   dominated   by   unwarranted   player   demands,   the   committee   viewing   themselves   going   forward   as   primarily   a community   club,   made   the   brave   but   risky   decision   to   begin   the   new   league   campaign   with   a   squad   made   up   of   local   players   and   that   philosophy   will   continue   even   if   it   does   mean further mentions on Sky Sports, even if this time for most certainly the wrong reasons.  It   was   always   going   to   be   a   difficult   game,   missing   a   crop   of   experienced   players   including   Levi   Jones,   David   Pinch   and   Cory   Thomas   and   with   Dan   Riddiford   carrying   a   knock, resigned to the bench. Rhys   Thomas,   Drew   Langdon   and   Darren   Blayden   came   in   for   their   first   starts   at   this   level   but   saying   all   that,   Town   could   have   been   two   goals   to   the   good   within   twenty   minutes   of the start with  Langdon blazing over from six yards and a Blaydon effort flashing wide of the post. The   visitors   had   started   stutteringly   and   there   was   no   sign   of   the   carnage   to   follow   even   when   they   opened   the   scoring   in   the   twenty   third   minute.   Martin   Phillips   in   the   Town   goal pulled off a great save from Will Toms and injuring himself in the process, only for the ball to run loose to Chris Fenet who gleefully stroked home. This   goal   had   an   immediate   effect   on   the   student’s   confidence   who   now   took   full   control   and   moments   after   Marley   Bishop-   Wisdom   had   headed   against   the   crossbar,   Dan   Barnard went one better nodding home with a free header from the right of goal.  Town’   s   man   of   the   match,   gaining   this   successive   plaudit, Andrew   Fenaroli   did   well   in   tracking   back   to   rob   Bishop-   Wisdom   with   the   pressure   unrelenting   as   Nick   Hayden   struck   the upright. A third had to come and this arrived courtesy of slack marking as Bishop- Wisdom, looking suspiciously off side, galloped through to drill past a helpless Phillips. Four   minutes   later   it   was   Bishop-   Wisdom’s   second   and   his   team’s   fourth   but   as   the   home   crowd   thought   surely   things   could   not   get   worse,   keeper   Phillips,   who   had   been   carrying that knock from early doors was forced to leave the field with Scott Griffiths fitting on the gloves and Kiran Bairstow taking up an unaccustomed midfield role. Griffiths was soon in action saving well from a Hyden rasper, and Town did well to hold out to half time with no change  in the score line. Half Time: Aberdare Town 0 Swansea University 4 But   it   was   the   same   story   in   the   second   half   and   the   worryingly   anticipated   avalanche   of   goals      commenced   as   early   as   five   minutes   in   with   Chris   Fonet   notching   his   second. Bishop-   Wisdom   after   getting   what   would   have   been   his   hat   trick   goal   but   for   the   linesman’s   flag   did   not   see   his   side   having   to   wait      too   much   longer   for   number   six   with   Hyden   , firing home in the fifty seventh minute. The   home   fans   were   now   fearing   a   cricket   score   and   this   came   to   pass   as   Adam   Orme   swept   home   for   number   seven   closely   followed   by   the   eighth   when   substitute,   Egyptian national, Seif Abouramman converted from a tight angle.  There   was   ten   minutes   of   respite   for   the   beleaguered   defence   with   Langdon,   substitute   Declan   Hansen-Spure   and   Rhys   Thomas   producing   a   few   unfortunately   unproductive   raids     but it was back to harsh reality as Bishop- Wisdom grabbed a deserved hat trick and Seif Abouramman snatched his second. Fellow substitute Yomi Olowofoeku got in on the act with two late strikes and Dan Douglas successful in between as the students showed no mercy. The   final   whistle   blown   by   referee,   Paul   Fisher   came   as   a   great   relief   to   home   players   and   fans   alike   but   it   was   pleasing   to   see   them   perform   a   group   huddle   at   the   finale   and   not just unceremoniously trudge off the field of play with heads lowered. There   is   a   spirit   in   this   team   despite   this   embarrassing   reverse,   and   the   soon   upon   them   midweek   reverse   derby   fixture   with   local   neighbours, AFC   Llwydcoed   will   hopefully   see   the return of some of the  experienced players vital to the cause. Man of the Match:  Andrew Feneroli Match Details: LINE-UP: Martin Phillips (Kieron Bairstow), Simon Morgan, Darren Blandon (Daniel Riddiford), Andrew Feneroli, Iestyn Stevens, Scott Griffiths, Drew Langdon, Liam Lewis, Rhys Thomas, Matt Owens, Kevin Connelly (Declan Hanse-Spur) NOT USED: n/a SCORER: n/a
Aberdare Town
Swansea University
Match report by Richard Rowlands Match Sponsor: n/a | Ball Sponsor: Tracey & Jessie Pearce
Saturday 18.08.18 (ko 2.30pm) | Welsh Football League Division Two
Sponsor this page from just £10 a season…. you can have your name or business here with a link! >>>>>>>>>>>>>
COOKIES | PRIVACY NOTICE The official website of Aberdare Town Football Club. © Aberdare Town AFC 2018. All rights reserved.
Aberdare Town Football Club Aberaman Park Cardiff Road, Aberaman Aberdare CF44 6HA e: Site designed & maintained by: IDP
Welcome to the OFFICIAL website of Aberdare Town